Christian songs are a mainstay in any gathering of believers, whether in the home, a clique group, or a congregation. Even little children in a family with Christian parents are likely to be found easily memorizing songs like “Jesus Loves Me” or even singing worship songs they hear their parents playing in the car stereo. While it is not about requiring someone to listen to a particular genre of music, since everyone has his own preferences, there are real benefits that come from listening to and singing Christian songs.
Do you know that Christian songs, which are considered a genre on their own, actually have restorative properties beyond that of a regular secular song? Truly, music has been found to have amazing healing properties, but it still depends on the kind of music; much of the music that we hear on mainstream radio nowadays can include many heart-wrenching expression of emotion, but they hardly provide a helpful answer. On the other hand, consider the following things that comprise Christian songs and their effect on the human heart:
- Christian songs talk about something greater than ourselves. Life is full of troubles and challenges, and in the midst of them all, we need to be reminded that there is something greater than ourselves. What is this something greater that Christian songs point to that we cannot find in other songs? Christian songs talk about a divine romance, a love story between us and God, which is a love that is unlike anything else we can experience in the human realm. This points us to a greater reality, that no matter what happens, there is a God who loves us and gave everything up for us. As we meditate on this truth in the midst of our circumstances, we develop boldness and confidence to face life and all its nuances with no fear or anxiety.
- Christian songs point us to Someone we can talk to no matter what we are going through. In the midst of our troubles, we need to know that somebody is on our side, and Christian songs point us to Jesus as Someone we can talk to. As social beings, we really long to have Someone we can depend on when things are not going right, and as we learn more about what Jesus did for us on the cross, we become confident to come to Him boldly, as He wants us to, pouring out our hearts and knowing that He understands and is fighting for us. Albums like Misty Edwards’ Relentless will show you just how relentless He is in fighting for you!
- Christian songs give us hope that things will be all right. Truly, as we meditate on His promises, our hearts come alive with hope that things will not stay the way they are forever. This gives us hope for a bright future, and this hope is not dependent on what we do but on what He did for us.
- Christian songs exalt the perfections of Someone in the midst of our imperfections and weaknesses. We will always face up to our weaknesses, and what we need is to behold Someone who never changes and who does not have the tiniest imperfection in Him. Christian songs allow us to spend time beholding the beauties of Jesus, and as we behold Him, we are transformed from glory to glory.
- Christian songs remind us of important truths of who we are in Christ. Sometimes, we can forget our true identity, especially as we face up to people who put us down or circumstances that show up our failures. As we contemplate Biblical truths set forth in song, our hearts and minds are renewed in who we are to Him, which changes our emotional chemistry.
These are but a few of the benefits of listening to and singing Christian songs. The next time you feel down and out, why don’t you try popping a CD of Christian music onto your player? Perhaps the answer you are looking for is actually hidden there somewhere, of a Friend who will stand by you even if the rest of the world abandons you. You have a love you can lean on, and it’s up to you to receive more of that love!